Monday, May 3, 2010

Day Deux

It is now Day Two of my stay in Paris, and I have learned several lessons.

Un (this is one in French): Don't just assume that it is normal when your adaptor/ converter is making a weird whizzing noise. You may find out that your mac's battery and charger become fried. Another computer lesson, when making your password for the wireless internet via the foundation's computers, don't use numbers. It is a French keyboard, the numbers are weird symbols that you do not have on your American keyboard. IE, this makes typing in your password on your laptop a real problem.

Deux: Weigh your fruit, vegetables, etc. at the grocery store on your own! I walked up with several bags of vegetables, and as the lady started talking to me in French, I knew there was a problem. It ended up being a lot of pointing and French vs. English. She finally went and weighed them herself. Unfortunately, I had just forgotten how to say "I'm sorry!" in French. I'll be sure to remember it next time! I ended up saying thank you about ten times in ten seconds.

Trois: If your professor tells you that you don't need to know any French before coming to Paris, DON'T believe him, unless you want to walk around the city constantly feeling like an idiot. Hopefully, I get used to this feeling soon!

Other than those mistakes, I have no complaints! I am staying at the Cite Internationale Universitaire De Paris in the Foundation Des Etats - Unis, and it is beautiful! Not so much in my actual dorm room, but the campus is gorgeous, and looks very scholarly. I will post some pictures soon! I don't know why they call it the United States House though because all I hear is French, French, French.

Last night, we went out for dinner, and had some delicious pizza, but tonight I am really looking forward to actually going out! Some more people arrived today so that makes it a total of seven so far!

Classes don't start until Monday, so hopefully we get some actual touristy things in tomorrow! Miss you all :)


1 comment:

  1. Maddog! I love this!!! haha I'm so excited I'm going to be able to follow you.... aka I'm living vicariously through you!

    I'm taking my LAST final in 2 hours- ahhhhh

    HAVE FUN!!!! (oh and be safe.)

    ReplyDelete